Friday, October 9, 2015

Midterms

MIDTERMS!! Is that even possible?! Didn't I JUST get done with orientation?! I knew that this day would get here, but I wasn't quite prepared for it to happen so soon. These past 5 weeks have flown by! With that being said, and the nerves and dread apparent, I am feeling prepared. I only have midterms in 3 of my 5 (6 if you include Intro to Law) classes next week. I have another on week 7 and the last in week 9. My exams are in Criminal Law, Contracts, and Torts. Again, I am weirdly feeling prepared. You would think that this feeling of preparedness would make me also feel at ease. It does not. I actually am really worried that even though I feel pretty prepared, I am not. I guess I won't truly know this until the time comes, or I get my grades back. Let's look at my first course up for examination first; Criminal Law.

KP, my awesome criminal law professor who used to be a defense attorney, has made this class even more interesting than I thought it could be (shocking seeing as I want to go into the criminal law field). These past five weeks, we have studied what exactly criminal law is and how it differs from  civil law. We then looked into homicide. This topic, which seems pretty self explanatory and simple, involved so much more than I thought.  Homicide is not simply someone is killed. There are homicide laws at thee common law level, modern law level, and even defined in the model penal code. Beyond that, there are felonious and misdemeanor murders, different levels of manslaughter, and different degrees of murder. These each have distinctive elements that MUST be present in order to obtain a conviction. 

And that is what studying is going to boil down to over this weekend. MEMORIZING THE ELEMENTS! These elements are what proves or disproves that a crime was actually committed. I will be receiving 20 multiple choice questions where all of the choice could be correct but I must choose the best right answer. Flashcards, something that was introduced to our class from behavioral analysts who are obtaining the PhDs, are going to be my go to for this weekend. I am also going to take some time and make a set for my property law class.

No comments:

Post a Comment