Sunday, October 4, 2015

No Turning Back

At a mere 11 years old, I knew what I wanted to be when I grew up. I knew that I wanted to be in a powerful career that would give me the opportunity to make a good living. At 11, that was so I could pay for a Volkswagon Beetle Bug in every possible color and a zillion dogs. While my views on what I hope to obtain from my career have changed drastically, the dream job is still the same and in fact has not ever wavered from that decision. I wanted to be a lawyer. When I first heard that it was a challenging career option and difficult to get through the schooling, I knew that this was where my destiny lied. I love to be challenged and have loved being so for as long as I can remember. 

LAW SCHOOL. As I neared this chapter in my life, this amazing opportunity started to look more daunting and terrifying than it ever looked fun and challenging. I was getting nervous everyday that passed that brought me closer to that first day of class. Hell, I was terrified to step foot into orientation. 

Sidenote: I had to read and do homework before I was even in an actual classroom. I was expected to brief two different cases, work on professionalism problems, and complete all the necessary forms that were required for me to begin my classes. I had NEVER briefed a case before. I had NEVER had to read a few chapters of books for orientation. I knew that this amount of work in order to start school was only a brief example of the amount of work that would be required to succeed in law school.





1L. I am currently a 1L taking the maximum credit hours (15). In addition to having a large workload for school, I am a mother of three little ones who are 5 years or under. Their schedules are and have always been busy, but our combined schedules no longer give me a moment to breathe. This being my very first term of law school, I felt it a good place to start. I am deciding to document my journey of tackling a pretty difficult degree while trying to balance my home life. 

Week 4. I am currently in week 4 of my first term.  My schedule consists of:
  • Constitutional Law 1
  • Criminal Law 1
  • Contract Law 1
  • Property Law 1
  • Torts Law 1
  • Introduction to Law
We were taught in orientation that we should spend about 3 hours outside of the classroom for every hour we are in class studying or working on homework. That means that each week I should be spending about 54 hours studying. With a week consisting of 168 hours, after class and studying, I am left with 96 hours in the week. I must divide this among sleeping, eating, housework, family time, soccer (for this fall at least), hobbies (but let's be honest this probably will become non-existent for the time being), and trying not to miss any of the small moments in my kids' life that are and will be priceless.

I am a glutton for punishment, or at least I have been told this. My mom has always said that I do not know how to not be busy. Well, more than just my mom has said that but I believe she said it first. So on top of all of the things I mentioned that will be devouring my time for the foreseeable future, I decided to start this blog and allow you to follow along on my journey, experiencing all the highs lows with me. Hopefully we all come out of this on the other end more educated on the law, with job prospects, and, well, alive.

No comments:

Post a Comment